Awards and recognition
Biwater has received four prestigious Queen’s Awards for excellence in engineering and innovation, presented by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, while also recording an impressive list of international water and project finance awards.
2021: Desalination Company of the Year
- Biwater was awarded Desalination Company of the Year (Distinction) at the 2021 Global Water Awards, recognising Biwater’s Center for Excellence in desalination, water reuse and membrane treatment as one of the leading suppliers for making the greatest contribution to the desalination industry in 2020.
- “Last year Biwater completely dominated the desalination market in America. They have taken the company to another level and have created the most effective membrane systems supplier in the US. Biwater has become the name that American utilities and industrial water uses can trust to get it right.” (Desalination Company of the Year Category | Global Water Intelligence).
2021: Water Project of the Year
- Biwater's ultrafiltration and reverse osmosis project, the Albert Robles Center for Water Recycling (ARC), was awarded Water Project of the Year (Distinction) at the 2021 Global Water Awards. The project was recognised for its advanced water treatment facility’s success in delivering forward-thinking solutions for optimizing its physical and environmental footprint.
- “The ARC is a critical element of the WRD’s wider Water Independence Now program, which endeavours to establish a locally sustainable water supply for Southern California and increase resilience to drought. As a direct result of the new advanced treatment plant, water imports from Northern California and the Colorado River are no longer required to replenish the area’s groundwater supply.” (Water Project of the Year Category | Global Water Intelligence).
- Biwater was awarded two Deal of the Year awards for the development works deal signed between the Kurdistan Regional Government and UK Export Finance in 2016.
- The loan was the first use by the KRG of the Law To Raise Funds Through Borrowing by The Kurdistan Region, number (7) of 2015.
- Global Trade Review summarised the deal’s achievements by saying, “The deal doesn’t just have tremendous, long-lasting environmental and humanitarian implications: being the first loan entered into by the Kurdistan regional government under its debt law, it sets a precedent for future borrowing and demonstrates that the regional government is able to borrow in its own name” (Global Trade Review Best Deals 2016).
- Trade & Forfaiting Review noted that “The TFR Awards commend the brave, to the complex, to the persistent and the innovative, as well as deals completed in the face of serious challenges” (Trade & Forfaiting Review ECA Highly Commended Deals of 2016).
Other significant awards:
At the IWA Project Innovation Awards in Tokyo, Japan, Biwater's City of Altamonte Springs water treatment project, pureALTA, received a Silver award in the Market-Changing Water Technology and Infrastructure category. The award recognised the project's success in delivering forward-thinking applications and solutions to advance clean and safe water goals.
Biwater was awarded Water Company of the Year (Distinction) at the 2016 Global Water Awards. The top award was presented by Felipe Calderón, former President of Mexico and Chairman of the Global Commission on the Economy and Climate
Global Water Intelligence highlighted, “Biwater’s export finance connections and in-house negotiating skills have enabled it to carve out a unique role as a deal broker” (Water Company of the Year Category | Global Water Intelligence Issue February 2016).
Biwater’s major wastewater treatment project in Hong Kong (Stage 2A Harbour Area Treatment Scheme, Stonecutters Islands) was awarded Wastewater Project of the Year (Distinction) at the 2016 Global Water Awards.
“The neat dovetailing of the numerous infrastructure components reflects a uniquely holistic and forward-thinking approach to municipal wastewater and environmental management” (Global Water Intelligence Issue: February 2016).
In 2016, Biwater received two awards from BDO LLP, accountancy and business advisory firm. The award for international sales growth recognised Biwater’s sustained growth and international turnover, while the best business award identified Biwater as a top performing UK business based on compound annual total sales growth.
A Global Water Award that recognised financial closure of a deal for Biwater’s desalination and wastewater project in the British Virgin Islands. The award summarised that the deal provided, “Inspired financing for an inspired contract”.
A Global Water Award for Biwater’s large-scale water project in Abuja, Nigeria. The award highlighted Biwater’s success, “Working with nature to avert an urban water crisis”.
An award from UK Trade and Investment (now known as the Department for International Trade) for Biwater’s innovative work delivering membrane solutions that benefit water-stressed communities internationally.
An award from the Design-Build Institute of America for the water treatment plant expansion project Biwater carried out in Dania Beach, Florida, United States. The plant achieved the city's vision for environmental sustainability by constructing one of the first water treatment plant buildings to achieve enough credits to become Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certified.
A Global Water Award recognising Biwater’s success securing a desalination and wastewater project in the British Virgin Islands. The award write-up noted that, “The Tortola deal…showcases how a privately financed contract can be a win-win for both the client and the developer”.
A Global Water Award for Biwater’s successful completion of the first wastewater treatment plant for Nicaragua, which instantly started to improve environmental conditions in and around Lake Managua. The award noted that that plant, “Shows that effective sludge management is affordable to all”.
A Global Water Award recognised Biwater’s water project in Omdurman, Sudan. The project was praised for being, “An inspired and technically brilliant solution”.
A Global Water Award for Biwater’s large-scale inland desalination plant in El Paso, Texas, United States. The project was recognised for providing, “An impressive new approach to large-scale inland water desalination”
Sign-up to receive Biwater updates and insights via email: