Awards and recognition
Biwater has received four prestigious Queen’s Awards for excellence in engineering and innovation, presented by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, while also recording an impressive list of international water and project finance awards.
Recent finance awards:
- Most recently, Biwater was awarded two Deal of the Year awards for the development works deal signed between the Kurdistan Regional Government and UK Export Finance in 2016
- The loan was the first use by the KRG of the Law To Raise Funds Through Borrowing by The Kurdistan Region, number (7) of 2015
- Global Trade Review summarised the deal’s achievements by saying, “The deal doesn’t just have tremendous, long-lasting environmental and humanitarian implications: being the first loan entered into by the Kurdistan regional government under its debt law, it sets a precedent for future borrowing and demonstrates that the regional government is able to borrow in its own name” (Global Trade Review Best Deals 2016)
- Trade & Forfaiting Review noted that, “The TFR Awards commend the brave, to the complex, to the persistent and the innovative, as well as deals completed in the face of serious challenges” (Trade & Forfaiting Review ECA Highly Commended Deals of 2016)
Recent international water awards:
- Biwater received Water Company of the Year (Distinction) and Wastewater Project of the Year (Distinction) at the 2016 Global Water Awards
- The top awards were presented by Felipe Calderón, former President of Mexico and Chairman of the Global Commission on the Economy and Climate
- Global Water Intelligence highlighted, “Biwater’s export finance connections and in-house negotiating skills have enabled it to carve out a unique role as a deal broker” (Water Company of the Year Category | Global Water Intelligence Issue February 2016)
- Biwater’s major wastewater treatment project in Hong Kong (Stage 2A Harbour Area Treatment Scheme, Stonecutters Islands) was recognised for, “The neat dovetailing of the numerous infrastructure components reflects a uniquely holistic and forward-thinking approach to municipal wastewater and environmental management” (GWI Issue: February 2016).
- (Wastewater Project of the Year Category | Global Water Intelligence Issue February 2016)
Other significant awards:
A Corporate and Financial Award, in association with Communicate Magazine, which recognised Biwater for its new website that was shortlisted in the ‘Best Corporate Website: Unlisted’ category, ranking among the best in the industry.
In 2016, Biwater received two awards from BDO LLP, accountancy and business advisory firm. The award for international sales growth recognised Biwater’s sustained growth and international turnover, while the best business award identified Biwater as a top performing UK business based on compound annual total sales growth.
A Global Water Award that recognised financial closure of a deal for Biwater’s desalination and wastewater project in the British Virgin Islands. The award summarised that the deal provided, “Inspired financing for an inspired contract”.
A Global Water Award for Biwater’s large-scale water project in Abuja, Nigeria. The award highlighted Biwater’s success, “Working with nature to avert an urban water crisis”.
An award from UK Trade and Investment (now known as the Department for International Trade) for Biwater’s innovative work delivering membrane solutions that benefit water-stressed communities internationally.
An award from the Design-Build Institute of America for the water treatment plant expansion project Biwater carried out in Dania Beach, Florida, United States. The plant achieved the city's vision for environmental sustainability by constructing one of the first water treatment plant buildings to achieve enough credits to become Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certified.
A Global Water Award recognising Biwater’s success securing a desalination and wastewater project in the British Virgin Islands. The award write-up noted that, “The Tortola deal…showcases how a privately financed contract can be a win-win for both the client and the developer”.
A Global Water Award for Biwater’s successful completion of the first wastewater treatment plant for Nicaragua, which instantly started to improve environmental conditions in and around Lake Managua. The award noted that that plant, “Shows that effective sludge management is affordable to all”.
A Global Water Award recognised Biwater’s water project in Omdurman, Sudan. The project was praised for being, “An inspired and technically brilliant solution”.
A Global Water Award for Biwater’s large-scale inland desalination plant in El Paso, Texas, United States. The project was recognised for providing, “An impressive new approach to large-scale inland water desalination”
Sign-up to receive Biwater updates and insights via email: